MKA Returns to Playing “Cougar-Ball” in Victory

“The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That’s real glory. That’s the essence of it” –Vince Lombardi

Well…at least that’s what Coach Chapman told the boys before the tip-off of yesterday’s game.  The game, against the basketball powerhouse West Essex, was only hours after the Cougars first lost of the season.

The focus of Chapman and Pacheco’s pre-game message to the boys was the need to return to playing “Cougar-Ball.”  Over the past few years, MKA has developed the reputation of being a very difficult and unpleasant team to play.  Their physical play, highlight by: a game long full-court press, non-stop fast breaking style and pressure defense, often times causes their opposition to quit and run to the bus.  Unfortunately for the boys of West Essex, this seemed to be the case yesterday (MKA 60 West Essex 34).

The Cougars shared the ball unselfishly (28 assists, with Asante G getting 9 of them).  They were led in scoring by Max N (15 points) and rebounding by Nic H (15 boards).

There was one play though that seemed to highlight the teams’ return to “Cougar Ball”.   With the Cougars up by many points and the clock ticking down to 2 seconds left in the contest, something happened.  A guard for West Essex drove to the basket for a wide open lay up, a sure 2 points.  But that didn’t happen…Instead, David K raced across the floor, jumped across the lane and tried his hardest to block the shot.  He was given a foul on the play, but the message was clear.  Nobody gets a wide-open lay-up in “Cougar Ball”…no matter what the score is.

P.S. The stands were packed with intense fans…the best turnout for a game Coach Chapman has seen in his brief tenure as coach.  Bravo Fans!

15 comments for “MKA Returns to Playing “Cougar-Ball” in Victory

1. Payson
    January 8, 2010 at 3:50 pm

GO COUGARS!!!!

2. Ms. FitzGibbon
    January 13, 2010 at 7:34 am

Congratulations on a fine win, Coach Chapman and team!

3. Mr Fleming
    January 13, 2010 at 10:04 am

I’m so proud of ALL our MS student-athletes … Go Cougar Cagers!

4. alexandria
    January 13, 2010 at 3:09 pm

I hope you all celebrated your courageous win!… congratulations GO COUGARS!!!!!!

5. Alexandria
    January 13, 2010 at 3:16 pm

I hope you celebrated your courageous win! … Congratulations! Go Cougars!

6. Shayne S.
    January 13, 2010 at 3:36 pm

I like how you used actual facts about the game. Like when you said what Mr.Chapman told his players before the game afainst West Essex.

7. Ali
    January 13, 2010 at 4:26 pm

This must of been a exciting fascinating game. That was so intense. I love when you said “David K raced across the floor, and jumped across the lain.” with so fine detail. The cougars probably had a fun time winning that game,and I am so glad we beat West Essex. Go Cougars! I hope you win the next one.

8. Dominic F.
    January 13, 2010 at 5:05 pm

I think it was cool how you had the facts about the game. I liked the way you described the last two seconds of the game, it made me feel like I was at the game.

GO COUGARS!!!

9. Dominic F.
    January 13, 2010 at 5:07 pm

Pretend I never wrote this.

10. Andre Papasavas
    January 13, 2010 at 5:24 pm

I like how the Cougars didn’t get one player to hog the ball. It is great to pass the ball. Even though MKA won by quite a few points, the Cougars never gave up. Since there were so many assists, everybody played like a team.
    Now to talk about the writer. He/she obviously put a big effort into the story. They also had to be at the game to tell it the way they did. Well, Coach Chapman was at the game, so he had an accurate view of the game.
    Overall, it was a great team performance. With what they did, they will probably do it for the rest of their games.

11. Mia
    January 13, 2010 at 5:26 pm

Congratulations on the win guys GO Cougars!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. maxwell
    January 13, 2010 at 5:58 pm

COUGARS RULE!!! They shouldn’t give up and should keep up the good work because the victory would bring them closer to more victories to come.

13. Myles Farmer
    January 13, 2010 at 6:09 pm

This is a great and epic story. I especially liked the part that described the play when the West Essex guard had a wide open lay-up, but it was blocked. All of the statistics gave me more info about the players, but also made the article more interesting!

14. max ruddy
    January 13, 2010 at 7:10 pm

Good job Max N you scored 15 pintos.
    cougar ball is working hard and being fair

15. January 13, 2010 at 7:50 pm

Wow! I liked that storytelling, and I sure liked how David K tried to block the lay-up by a guard from West Essex from a remarkably good shot, even though David’s block was a foul in the game.